the fam

the fam

Monday 25 July 2011

I love.....

CATH KIDSTON

I can't remember exactly when this small obsession started but over the years I have collected a variety of CK goodies. My Mum has also played a big part in my ever-growing hoard (she's a big fan too)...birthdays and Christmases usually involve at least one CK gift.
We've recently moved house and with the arrival of our 2nd baby boy just a few weeks after we moved in, have yet to decorate, but the CK nick-nacks have already taken pride of place in my new home. I know there are still other pieces lurking in boxes that I've yet to unpack but it will be like receiving them all over again! I will delight in finding my red spotty coffee pot and matching red spotty mugs.
My longing for a floral room has yet to be realised but I have the wallpaper ready.
Even our kids haven't escaped... although we have two little boys, our eldest has always eaten from a melamine CK cowboy plate on a matching cowboy print placemat. He also has the matching crockery. Well, at least it isn't floral!

I love the whole nostalgic feel to the designs, the vintage-style prints, the simple spots. I love to find original vintage homewares but the Cath Kidston products fill in when the originals are sometimes hard to find.
I do buy from small British companies - there are so many amazing designer/makers out there, but the CK habit is hard to kick! One of the most memorable comments for me recently about one of our own Giddy Kipper products was a customer saying how delighted she was and that it was very 'Cath Kidston-y'...I was thrilled!! 
 
I know that Cath Kidston products are very popular these days and since she sold her part of the business for £50 million (obviously I'll be doing the same with my business some time soon...!) 'some' people have said that the company isn't the same. Well, to be honest, I don't care. As long as I can still buy anything with red spots on it or an antique floral print, I'll be happy.

2 comments:

  1. Did you listen to Cath Kidston on Desert Island Disks a couple of months ago? What a woman, I love that she was so honest about her motivation and her fears. Also that the company has no debt! Really sensible business woman who started with what she had. Inspirational to us all. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise!
    oh what a shame..didn't know about that. Bet it was a really interesting listen. Very canny business woman!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I would love to hear your feedback or comments. I will try my best to reply!