the fam

the fam

Wednesday, 25 January 2012

What a Year That Was!

I have sadly neglected this blog for far too long so thought it was about time I made the effort for a little update. Why I thought it would be a good idea to start a blog with a newborn baby last Summer is beyond me...I blame the hormones!
I thought my first 'proper' post of 2012 should be looking back on 2011...a year that turned out to be a totally insane one for me and my family. All manner of highs and lows starting (obviously) in JANUARY....

By now I had quite a sizeable bump and having been nominated for a Wedding Ideas Award for the first time, the frantic search began for a suitable dress and pair of shoes that wouldn't make me fall on my face (actually, my face wouldn't have even touched the floor...I would have simply rolled around)
me and Adele at Blue Lights Photography

FEBRUARY brought a very tearful visit to my new anaesthetist who insisted I should be awake for my 2nd classical c-section...something I really didn't want to think about. We also had our offer accepted on the house we wanted and were overjoyed that we could finally make plans for our move. Our darling son turned 4 at the end of the month too so there were celebrations all round
Alfie's 4th birthday cake 
By the time MARCH came around I was growing literally by the minute (ok in my head that's what it felt like!) and making preparations for baby's arrival as well as packing boxes - no mean feat when you can't even see your own toes. I was also becoming a human pin cushion due to the amount of blood tests I was having. I also had a terrifying MRI scan at a hospital Sheffield where I was wedged into a huge tube for over 45 minutes. It was noisy uncomfortable and claustrophobic but necessary to find out just how big my fibroid had become. They were also checking for a medical condition called placenta accreta...well the fibroid was bigger than the baby at this stage (28 weeks) but thankfully everything else was fine. I could breathe again.
APRIL came around we enjoyed a lovely Easter break and watched the Royal Wedding plonked on the sofa lie a big marshmallow wearing a very silly patriotic hat...I loved every minute of it!

MAY was hugely exciting and a little scary too. We got the keys to our new house (no. 5) on 5th May (5th of the 5th) and decided that was definitely now my lucky number. We had 12 fabulous friends & family to help us move on 7th and it all went so smoothly that we were in and settled by teatime with beds made and the kettle on! I can't than everyone enough for making that day so brilliant for us.
 By now things were getting a little uneasy for me and I finally took my maternity leave and spent my days waddling around in our new home. I was so excited but very apprehensive at the same time...I new what was coming this time.
digging part of the new garden with Daddy

JUNE arrived and so did our beautiful new bundle of joy Charlie Noah. Another big op for me and lots of recovery but the relief that we were both ok was immense. Steve and big brother Alfie came to fetch us from the hospital on the 3rd day and our super little family travelled to our new home. This month we also visited Alfie's new school and were given a mountain of paperwork to read before his first day in September.
Daddy & Charlie
Me & my boys
Once we arrived home we were overwhelmed by the amount of cards and presents we received from not only our friends and family but also from the loveliest and most generous people I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting...namely my twitter 'family'

(....more of that in my next post as I want to say belated thanks to so many wonderful people)
some of the cards!

JULY and we were all settling into a routine but the lack of sleep was a killer! Steve was still trying to run the business without me as well as looking after all 3 of us in the evenings. My wonderful Mum was on hand every day for the 1st fortnight and we couldn't have coped without her. When Charlie was 6 weeks old I had a major birthday - one that I had been dreading all year. How could I possibly be 40!! To be honest I felt miserable that day...apart from the pain I was in from the op I just didn't want to be 'that' number. I actually had a lovely day...out for lunch in the sunshine lots of fabulous presents and a family meal at night but I felt so old. 
the dreaded number
with my big brother
 We also managed to get a short break in a great hotel in our favourite county Norfolk. A lovely birthday treat for me and the boys - we had a wonderful time and was just what I needed. Charlie smiled for the 1st time this month and our hearts melted all over again!

trying out the hotel bed
having a wonderful time

AUGUST brought sunshine and showers BBQs and various parties. Alfie left his nursery for the last time and there were tears all round. He had been going there since he was 18 months old and the staff were wonderful. We took presents had photos and hugs...I felt very emotional that my little boy was growing up so fast. As a goodbye from the nursery staff they arranged a 'red carpet prom' for all those children leaving for Big School and Alfie was crowned Prom king for the night!
Prom  king
fun in the waves
In SEPTEMBER our darling little boy started Big School and I thought my heart would break. We were so excited for him to be starting this new chapter but at the same time terribly sad. I couldn't believe my baby would be putting on a uniform...but he did look incredibly cute (and thankfully LOVES school)

We also celebrated being together for 14 years this has flown by. We are as blissfully happy as we ever were and thankful for our lovely little family.

ready for school
OCTOBER was the start of the 'silly season' for Giddy kipper. Poor Steve and the girls at the office were flat out for the next couple of months making painting finishing and dispatching orders - I felt dreadful being at home but was enjoying time with baby Charlie and was always at home to pick Alfie up from school which made home life easier at least. Alfie had his first Harvest Festival which was a joy to watch and his first Parents' evening which made us very proud indeed. Unfortunately this was the month we discovered our beautiful baby boy had developed a 'ranula' in the floor of his mouth and so began rounds of doctors' and hospital appointments to try and figure out what to do next. 
Harvest Festival
a real horror!
our pumpkins
As the weeks flew by and we started NOVEMBER we could no longer do without the extra help at work so with my Mum helping out looking after Charlie I was thrown in at the deep end - the piles of orders weren't going to paint themselves! That was the start of weeks of 2 3 and 4am finishes with an already restless baby...I'm not sure how we managed it! We were getting virtually no sleep up for school at 7am sorting the kids out at teatime bedtime and back to work in the evenings. Exhausting!
autumn berries
DECEMBER came around in a blur of school activities (the Nativity play was fabulous!) more hospital visits parties and orders galore! We had a record-brekaing end to the year...At our Christmas cut-off point (Dec 3rd) we still had 898 orders to make and dispatch by last posting dates. Some nights were hard to carry on but we did it! 
Then finally we could relax and enjoy Charlie's 1st Christmas in our new home. We had a wonderful time and made all the hard work worth all the effort.
2011 was an amazing exhausting terrifying year and one that we will never forget!

Charlie the Elf


  1. Wow that is some year! You and Steve deserve a week somewhere warm & sunny with your gorgeous little boys.

    Time is so precious and our little ones are only little for such a short time. Enjoy every moment :)

    1. Phew. I think you are superwoman!! What a year. I bet it seems like half a in has sped past.
      See you soon :)x Gabs

  2. Thanks Zoe and Gabs...yes it has been a bit of a whirlwind!! There was lots of other stuff going on last year too but it was too upsetting to mention. We're hoping this year will be happier all round. Best news is we've booked a holiday! Really excited to be taking the boys to the seaside xx


Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I would love to hear your feedback or comments. I will try my best to reply!