the fam

the fam

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Doing Good.

I made it back! Still struggling for time and my posts have been erratic to say the least. I have loads I want to share but for now I need to get this one posted...

After starting to exercise again at home (after a tough couple of years) I decided I really needed something to focus on to keep me going. For the last couple of years I've wanted to take part in fundraising but never got round to it. This year was different..no more putting it off, so I signed up for Race For Life to raise money for Cancer Research. Sadly our families and friends have been affected by this shitty disease time and again so it was a cause close to my heart.


On June 21st I will be putting on some ridiculous pink outfit and running *ahem* 5K (to be totally honest, I'm not much of a runner but I will give it my best shot...even if I have to crawl over the finish line)

I'm running in memory of some wonderful, much-loved people who I'd like to tell you about....

My Auntie Sylvia, (one of my Mum's older sisters) - born an albino and registered blind. The most positive person I have ever met despite her disability. Warm, caring, funny and always laughing. Taken by stomach cancer. Married to my lovely Uncle for over 40 years, he's been lost without her.




My Mum-in-law Doreen (Steve's Mum) - strong, generous, totally wonderful and had a brilliant laugh. We shared lots of birthdays (11th & 12th July) and lots of lovely times. I remember laughing until we cried...I had known her since I was 16. I cherish the letter she wrote to me before she died. She was taken by lung cancer at 57. Our boys never got to meet their fabulous other Grandma, we miss her so much.



Paul (Steve's younger brother) - never had a bad word to say about anyone. Totally genuine, saw the good in everyone. Caring, funny and one of the nicest, most decent people you could ever meet. For 3 years we were the best of friends and rarely apart. He was my first boyfriend at 16 until I moved away to college. We remained friends and met up in our home town. He fought 3 brain tumours with total courage and amazing bravery. He lost his fight aged 24..I will never forget to day my Mum gave me the devastating news.



Jane - I remained friends with Jane and older brother Ant when I split up with my art college boyfriend, their younger brother Tim. I loved spending time with them..drinking Lincoln Green beer at The Jolly Brewer...good times. I lived in their house for a while too and Jane looked after me like a sister. She was beautiful inside and out. At 43, she died of breast cancer, leaving behind 2 beautiful kids and a family who adored her (I'm running on Jane's birthday) 





Jo - a friend from my school days, best friends with my mate Rich, ever-so slightly bonkers in the nicest possible way. Jo went off and had amazing, crazy adventures skiing and climbing mountains..she fitted so much in to her life and I will always remember her giggling and rambling on about anything and everything, she was so full of energy. Skin cancer took her away aged 41, leaving behind her younger sister and parents and a whole heap of friends who will never forget her.


 

I'm hoping that my brilliant friends will support me in my fundraising efforts - I would be so grateful if any of you could spare the smallest amount. 

For those we've lost and for those still fighting (Jules, we love you), please help if you can.


To visit my JustGiving page please click here


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! A little nervous, but training's going well. I'll get to the finish line eventually!! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I would love to hear your feedback or comments. I will try my best to reply!